How is the air quality in your home or office? Not sure. Me either. Do you open the windows and dust daily? I sure don’t and even if I did I’m not sure that the air outside is any better quality than the inside air. So I started doing on some research on buying an air purifier.
Why I got an Air Purifier
I do know that a few years ago (8 but who’s counting), due to being diagnosed at 28 with adult-onset asthma and severe allergies I was rushed to the emergency room and prescribed 5 different medications to be taken daily to control my symptoms. So I set off to find out the root of the problem and I was astonished by the number of things in our household that were causing and contributing to my suffering.
Household things such as scented candles, cleaning products (more to come on this later, but if you’re curious about what is safe check out ewg.org), Febreeze, dogs, scented dryer sheets, furniture off-gassing, fireplace, and having an attached garage.
Reasons you need an air purifier:
- Allergies: They are aggravated by airborne particles, pet dander, and other household chemicals.
- Polluted Indoor Air & Chemical Off-Gassing: The EPA has found that indoor air can be 5-100 times more polluted than outdoor air.
- Small Children (Especially Babies): Their developing bodies don’t excrete chemicals and toxins as effectively as adults do.
- Asthma & Other Respiratory Problems: These problems are aggravated and possibly triggered by airborne particles and chemicals.
- Pets: Pet Dander and odor can be mostly removed by an air purifier.
- Odor: Cooking and other odors can be mostly removed by an air purifier.
- Cigarette Smoke: If you or anyone else around you smokes, an air purifier can help to remove the smell.
- Mold: Most of the time people don’t know they have mold and the right kind of air purifier can help eliminate its dangerous air particles.
- Pregnancy: Unborn babies are more vulnerable to certain dangerous chemicals.
- Attached Garage: Having an attached garage is one of the leading causes of poor indoor air quality.
- Home Office: Electronics off-gas dangerous chemicals.
- Sick Germs: Airborne viruses can be spread by coughing and sneezing. Using an air purifier reduces the risk of spreading the virus.
- Healthier Lifestyle: Breathing in clean air is essential to your overall level of health.
How to Clean Up Your Indoor Air
We got rid of what we didn’t need like scented candles, Febreeze, scented dryer sheets, and started making our own cleaning products with essential oils. We also bought plants, charcoal bags, salt lamps, burn beeswax candles, use essential oils, and invested in an air purifier for our house. With all of the new changes mentioned above and some diet changes (kicking gluten and dairy to the curb), my symptoms cleared up and within a few months, I was off of all of the allergy and asthma medications.
Top Rated Air Purifiers
Chances are that you or someone that you live with can relate with one or more of the reasons listed above. So the next step is figuring out which one is right for you.
It has been called the Tesla of Air Purifiers and tested #1 in the only comprehensive university study! This is the air purifier that we use at our house. We love that when our friends and family come over they always compliment how fresh the air is in our house! We also love that it’s made in the USA. It’s visually pleasing, super quiet, and it covers up to 1500 sq feet. It removes Allergies, Asthma, Dust, Bacteria, Pollen, Mold Spores, Pet Dander, and smoke with its carbon and HEPA advanced filtration system. The filters are super easy to change out and only needed to be changed every year.
This is another highly rated air purifier on Amazon. It also covers up to 1500 sq feet, is visually pleasing, users have commented on how quiet it is, and uses both a carbon and HEPA filtration system. I love that this one has a smart mode, that can let you know if the air is unhealthy and adjust the filtration system accordingly. It also features a filter indicator that lets you know when it needs a new filter. On average they will need to be changed yearly.
I really like the customizable options with the Alen BreatheSmart air purifier. It allows you to choose from 15 different color panel options, and your HEPA filter based on your air quality concerns. It covers up to 1100 sq feet and its air quality indicator can detect the air quality and adjust your air purifier accordingly. The filters also last on average 1 year.
I believe that almost everyone can benefit from an air purifier, that is unless you live on a deserted island in a grass hut with no pets or belongings. In that case maybe not, but I’m guessing that if you are reading this post that probably isn’t you. So I hope that you find this information helpful and that you find an air purifier that fits your needs the best.